Jehovah's Characteristics Reflected in Jesus
Jesus comes to the Jordan to be baptized by John the Baptist. Because John “knows that his baptism […] is for those repenting of their sins, but Jesus is sinless” (gt-E, ch 12)1, he objects with Jesus, stating “I am the one needing to be baptized by you, and are you the one coming to me?” Jesus replies, “Let it be, this time, for in that way it is suitable for us to carry out all that is righteous.” This statement reflects Jesus’ loyalty to Jehovah. In order to “carry out all that is righteous,” Jesus needed to be resolved to do his Father’s will. Jesus’ baptism symbolized that resolve, rather than repentance of sins.—Matthew 3:13-17
Insight on the
Scriptures comments on page 249 that Jesus’ insistence on being baptized speaks
in harmony with Psalm 40:7-8, which reads
In view of that, I said: “Here I
have come,
In the roll of the book it being written about me.
To do your will, O my God, I have delighted,
And your law is written within my inward parts
In the roll of the book it being written about me.
To do your will, O my God, I have delighted,
And your law is written within my inward parts
Footnotes:
1 Unless otherwise stated, all cited publications on this blog come from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (WTBTS).
No comments:
Post a Comment